Saturday, November 7, 2009

Lincoln Logs



For over 5 years now I've pondered the shipping container as the ultimate adult-sized building blocks. Like the Lincoln Logs of my childhood, I looked at them as pieces of endless configurable possibility. As early as I can remember I was interested in stacking things and modifying things to fit my vision and imagination. Like the cardboard bricks I found at my cousin's house, the boring rectangular box could become something totally different with some vision and patience.

For those who are wondering what the hell a shipping container is, I'll explain a bit further: Today our country's trend of importing more than exporting has meant the huge metal boxes used to ship us everything, from Korean car parts to Brazilian bananas, sit dormant at our ports waiting to be recycled and modified for a new life in America. This has allowed many industrious people to build everything from apartments and hotel rooms to mobile hurricane and earthquake-proof shelter for displaced residents. Some are used as storage for tools and random junk and others are turned into architectural art pieces that challenge current building trends and help prove that form and function really can come together in unexpected places.

I recently made the decision to finally buy and build one of my own into a project workspace with hopes of creating something beautifully functional and inspiring. Perhaps my goals are lofty, but I'm doing it regardless and plan to share the progress of the build here.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't build any 10 story high Lincoln Log structures, did you??!!

    Photos really helpful though it's still hard to imagine the two of you getting that thing across the yard to the back fence. My hat off to you and Chris!

    Nice blog... good idea.

    ReplyDelete